Monday, May 10, 2010

Raw breakfasts and a yummy Mother's Day cake





This is a delicious recipe that I adapted from one of Victoria Boutenko's recipe (in the 12 steps book). I make it in the food processor and spread half of the mixture on 2 teflex sheet and dehydrate to make crackers (about 20 hours at 115 F) and the other half, I put in the Vita-mix with 1/2 cup of water and eat as a breakfast pudding. It's so good! And my girls love it!

Almond orange and raisins crackers
From Victoria Boutenko

4 cups soaked and peeled almonds (12 hours)
2 cups raisins (I use half soaked 8 hours and half not soaked, the soaked ones make the dough sweeter and the dry ones give it some texture)
2 whole oranges (with the peel)
2 apples
1/2 tsp salt

Process everything in the dehydrator. Spread half of the mixture on 2 teflex sheet and dehydrate to make crackers (about 20 hours at 115 F) and put the other half in the Vita-mix with 1/2 cup of water and eat as a breakfast pudding. Enjoy!




This is an amazing green smoothie recipe by Carmella.

Carmella's daily green fuel

1/2 avocado
2 to 3 bananas (fresh or frozen)
2 cups of fruits of choice (fresh or frozen)
2 to 3 cups greens (our favorites include spinach, swiss chard, collard greens and kale)
Juice of 5 or 6 oranges (or 2 to 3 whole oranges, peeled and seeded)
1 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
1 to 1 1/2 cups of water

Blend until smooth. Add more or less water, to taste.

Yields 7 to 8 cups



We all loved that breakfast cream!

Strawberry and hazelnut muesli

1/2 c. soaked (overnight) and peeled almonds
1 1/2 c. warm water
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 c. oat flakes (I used millet flakes since I am trying to be gluten free also)
1 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 tbsp raw honey
1 c. fresh strawberries in pieces
1/4 c. hazelnut pieces (I didn't use any)

Make almond milk: puree almonds with warm water and salt. Do not press the milk in the nut milk bag. To the unflitered milk, add the oat flakes, the flax seeds, zest and honey. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add strawberries, hazelnuts and more honey to taste.




Strawberry almond milk

Make some almond milk (google it if you need), strain (save the pulp, throw it on a teflex sheet in the dehydrator and grind it: you've got some precious almond flour!), add a banana, a Medjool date or two, about an inch of the inside of a vanilla bean, 1 to 2 cups of strawberries (fresh or frozen), maple syrup or agave syrup to taste, and voilà! DELICIOUS!



This was our Mother' Day dessert: The mango cake with raspberry sauce from Raw Goddess e-book Just Dessert. So, so good!

Et pour mes lectrices qui ne comprennent pas l'anglais : je suis sincèrement désolée! Je ne peux pas traduire toutes les recettes et comme la plupart sont déjà tapée en anglais, ça m'évite beaucoup de temps.

Par contre, Carine m'a fait découvrir de super sites/blogues de recettes crues. Les voici :

http://croquonslanature.canalblog.com/

http://veganbio.typepad.com/veg_anbio/recettes-crues.html

http://alchimie-du-cru.blogspot.com/

http://www.crusinesante.com/fr/recettes/

Et je vous parlerai bientôt du délicieux pâté de champignons de Carine que j'ai fait hier...

6 comments:

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Oh my what a wealth of raw goodness you have in this post! Looks like a delicious and healthy mother's day you had.

:)Lisa

heather said...

are you on turning your blog into a cooking blog? i am in awe! i wish you were my neighbor so i could come watch and help and taste. why oh why can't i find my coking mojo, catherine?

heather said...

coking? no. cooking.

cypress said...

Hi Catherine...I've been catching up on your recent yummy blogginess...I think I have all the ingredients to try the green fuel...that looks great to me!

Melissa said...

My mouth waters every time I look at your blog lately! I love the look of the raw dessert with the violets on top - looks delicious! I would love to be going on a raw foods diet at the moment as I feel that I'm really in need of a detox. I'm just unsure as to wether my body would enjoy it as we are in the midst of a chilly autumn over here. As I look at your photos I'm craving spring! Have you tried doing a raw food/detox in the cooler months before? xx

Catherine said...

Heather, you have a lot on your plate right now! Don't beat yourself up about cooking. I LOVE cooking, so it's easy for me!

Melissa, no, I never did a raw food detox in the fall. What I have heard of is a miso broth detox (with ginger and cayenne, for 7 days). Listen to your body, he'll tell you what you need! Raw food isn't always cold either. Most raw foodists warm their food in the dehydrator in the fall/winter.

I hope you'll receive the package soon!